birding-aus

Why am I getting replies first

To: Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Why am I getting replies first
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:14:27 +1000
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:58:36PM +1000, Peter Ewin wrote:
> A quick question for all you computer nerds out there. I seem to be
> regularly getting people's responses to an e-mail before I get the original
> e-mail. Is there any reason for this? Tony Russell seems to consistently
> beat the original, as does Carol Proberts. Is it just hotmail, or does
> anyone else get this happening?

I know nothing about hotmail but I'd guess you are seeing messages sorted
by the date they claim to have been sent.  The "Date" field in some of
Carol Probets recent messages is incorrect.  The time is correct but the
time zone is incorrectly indicated as GMT+11.  The Blue Mountains and the
rest of eastern Australia is currently on GMT+10.   Effectively  this
means the date on Carol's messages is an hour earlier than they were
actually sent.

The problem presumably stems from a changeover from daylight saving
time which is GMT+11 in  eastern Australia

I'm not suggesting this is Carol's mistake.  It maybe caused by dodgy
software and may be  her ISP, not her computer.  Incorrect dates of one sort or
another
are not uncommon on e-mail either.

Many mail clients allow you to view messages sorted on the date received
which avoids such problem.

This doesn't explain why Tony Russell's messages might appear
out-of-order.  The couple of his message in my mailbox look to have
sensible date-lines.  Maybe Hotmail doesn't handle South Australia's
"half hour" timezone correctly?

Andrew Taylor