birding-aus

Queensland birding. Part 1

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Queensland birding. Part 1
From: "Lois j Piroch" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:28:37 +1100
Hello fellow birders,
Have just returned after escaping the Melbourne winter with a caravanning trip to Cairns, a campng trip to Iron Range & a tour of Torres Strait with Mike Carter & company.
With the generous help of many, to whom I am most grateful, with the exception of Rufous Scrub-bird & Spotted Whistling Duck I managed to locate all other birds I was targeting.
Whilst most of the birds were in the predictable locations, a couple of sites I discovered may be of some interest.
TYTO WETLANDS - INGHAM.
Stumbled on this place by chance & was puzzled when a sign invited me to "Tyto Lookout".
A walk of about 3km lead me to a raised platform overlooking a type of grassland. Returning at dusk with a spotlight, I very soon discovered the resident - GRASS OWL.
Be warned, go prepared for the mosquitoes.
The entrance to the wetlands is located next to the football oval about 200m off the Bruce Highway about 1/2km south of the town centre.
SHIPTONS FLAT.
Located about 35km south of Cooktown this area is a reliable year round site for White-streaked Honeyeater, Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, both can be difficult at Iron Range, Blue-faced Parrot-finch & Lesser Sooty Owl. Also Bennett's Tree Kangaroo.  It is advisable to get in touch with locals Charlie & Lewis Roberts who are very friendly & hospitable & keen to show visiting birders around.  Do not be mislead by the title "Flat" as the country is very hilly & a 4x4 vehicle is essential.  Also a quite stiff, unhill hike of some kilometres may be necessary.
To reach the Roberts farm travel from Cooktown  on the road to Lakeland. After 28km turn left to Helenvale [Lions Den Hotel]. Continue for a further 3.5km & turn right to Shiptons Flat .[signposted]  After 7.3km note a 44gallon drum postbox, turn down track here for 1.5km to the Roberts farm.
Regards
Geoff. Walker
0418 572 922