birding-aus

Learning to watch birds in Darwin

Subject: Learning to watch birds in Darwin
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:26:08 +0930
G'day everybody

Recently spotted at advertisement at our local Night
school here in Darwin called 'Birding in the Top End'
was on my mobile booking myself a 'berth' as I
walked out of the shop.

Denise Goodfellow took the class of 11 keen green
birders, including myself, out to several birding sites
in, around and near Darwin. Including a camping
weekend in Pine Creek. Was a real experience and a
lot of valuable advice taken on board - like not to
wear bright blue shirts when creeping through the
mangroves - you stand out like a beacon :)

I added many new birds to my list - here is my list
of 'new' birds - we did, of course, see many more.

Leanyer Swamp (dawn): Female Mistletoe Bird; Both
the Zitting and the Golden headed Cisticola; Dusky
Honeyeater (seen before but I couldn't put a name to
it); Brolga; Mangrove Geregone, Black Shouldered
Kite, Pelican. A baby whip snake.
Fogg Dam (Sunset): Big bushfire nearby and the
smoke was drifting over making visibility fairly poor.
Interim Egret, Willie Wagtail, Nankeen Night Heron,
Varied Triller. Water Python and grey slate snake.
Leanyer Sewage Ponds (dawn): Hard Head (white-
eyed duck), Grey Teal, Both the Wandering and the
Plumed whistling ducks; Little Teal; Pink-eared Duck;
Pied Herons; An immature Jabiru; Gull Billed Terns;
Black Winged (Pied) Stilt, Pacific Black Duck; Small
Egret; Common Sandpiper; Australasian Grebe;
Eurasian Coot; Red Headed Honey Eater; Large Billed
Geregone; Lemon Bellied Flycatcher; Brown Whistler
and a couple of Australian Pratincole.
Adelaide River Pub Gardens (Early afternoon) Great
Bower Birds
Pine Creek Water Gardens (late afternoon) (ok so it
was a park with 3 murky ponds :) Crested Pigeon;
Little Pied Cormorant; Masked Finch; White Throated
Honey Eater.
Pine Creek Sewage Ponds (Sunset): Red Kneed
Dotterel, Grey Teal, Hoary Headed Grebe; Silver
Crowned Friar Bird; Pied Butcherbird; White Throated
Geregone; Black Fronted Dotterel, Long Tailed Finch.
Fergusson River (dawn): Hooded Parrot; Variegated
Lorikeet; Northern Rosella and White winged Triller.

It was really great going out with a group of like-
minded people - and with someone who knew the
names ( a big plus - for people like me - who are
seeing the birds but finding it hard to pick the bird out
of the pictures in a book)

Thank You people

Sally Roddom