birding-aus

a good use for old scopes

Subject: a good use for old scopes
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:35:37 +1000
Hi everybody -

This is not about Australian birds, but the message below, posted by Colin
Poole to the OrientalBirding list, may be of interest.

Cheers,
Hugo
------------------------------------

From: "Colin" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:36:55 +0700
Subject: [OB] a good use for old scopes

We are supporting a local initiative to guard the large waterbird colonies
in the flooded forest on the north-west shore of the Tonle Sap, Cambodia.
These include some of the world's largest remaining populations of
Spot-billed Pelican and Greater Adjutant as well as significant numbers of
Lesser Adjutant, Painted Stork, Milky Stork, Asain Openbill, Black-headed
Ibis and Darter.  Up until 1996 these colonies were heavily harvested for
eggs and chicks.  We now support a local conservation team to guard and
monitor the colonies throughout the breeding season (Dec-June).  The team
currently numbers 24, all of whom are local villagers and more than half of
whom are former bird collectors.  They build platforms near to colonies and
rotate to guard these 24 hours a day, we have also trained them so they are
now gathering basic data about numbers and breeding success.  They have
done an amazing job, collecting now appears to be down to negligible
levels, certainly compared to the days of the mid-nineties, and waterbird
populations are rebounding.

One of the most important tools for these guys has turned out to be
telescopes.  We currently have three, donated by myself and visitors, but
ideally we need one for each platform, which last year numbered six.  I was
wondering that if in these days of new mega scopes, anybody who was trading
up had an old scope they'd care to donate to a good cause? We are
supporting a local initiative to do this and I don't have the budget to buy
new scopes and to be honest even if I did, I probably wouldn't as the
environment that these guys are working in is such that lifespan of
expensive equipment may not be very long.  If anybody thinks they might be
able to help, or wants more details, please get in touch with me directly
at:  I can probably arrange carriage out here from
UK, USA or a variety of Asian countries.

If anybody fancies visiting and delivering a scope to the guys in person,
then that would be great.  Ecotourism is just starting and we are hoping
that some of the former collectors and now conservation team members will
eventually be able to work as guides.  The best time to visit is probably
earlier in the year when water levels are still high, as conditions get
difficult by mid March when the water is dropping.  However, even then with
advance notice things are possible.  Anybody who is interested in donating
in style can either contact me at the above email or direct to the local
initiative we are working with at:

Thanks very much
Colin Poole

WCS Cambodia Programme
#21, St. 21
PO Box 1620
Phnom Penh

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
Hawthorn East 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Website: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>