birding-aus

The Big Twitch in The Torres Strait- Part Two

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch in The Torres Strait- Part Two
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:49:08 +0800
Late on our final day on Boigu, making our way back to the boat, the tired group was stretched out over about four or five hundred metres. Mike Carter, Bill Watson and I were at the rear of the group, when a pair of Collared Imperial-Pigeon flew directly over our heads, their breasts glowing pink in the afternoon tropical light.

I looked for the others and to my dismay they were all out of sight, having already reached the village. Knowing that they would be in agony if they missed these cripplers (Birding paradox no 273: it is those who don't get a crippler that end up in agony), I charged off after them. As I ran yelling and screaming through the village, the locals began cracking up in fits of laughter, helped no doubt, by the fact that my pack had fallen open and its contents were now spilling the length of the village. By the time I'd got everyone's attention I'd screamed myself hoarse and could barely get an audible croak out. They rushed back, leaving me a panting heap on the street. Needless to say, the birds had flown.

Turns out my mad dash was doubly in vain as we all got superb views of this species, including one at perch, on Saibai, our next port of call. Saibai, though further south, is actually closer to PNG than Boigu, so its not surprising this species was to be found here as well as many others. In two days we saw seventy plus species including two additions for me: Little-bronze and Shining-bronze Cuckoo. Unbelievably, I hadn't seen the latter species till now- well not that unbelievable as I know that David Andrew got to almost six hundred and fifty species in Australia without seeing this relatively common species. Similarly I have missed out on both the Trillers so far this year, both of which were seen by virtually everybody else. At one point several people were pointing out a Varied Triller in a bush directly in front of me and I still couldn't get onto it. Talk about blowing your credibility.

But the really important bird on Saibai I was fortunate enough not to miss- a male Papuan Flowerpecker. Though probably resident on Saibai, this was I believe, only the third Australian record. Unfortunately only half the party got to see it, the other half being on the opposite side of the village, about three kilometres away- too far for a mad dash.
Onto Darnley Island, a "continental" style island right out on the Eastern extremity of the Strait, much more like Dauan. Though failing to add anything new here, the birding was very interesting. This must be Isle of the Rose-crowned Fruit-doves as there were hundreds of them all about. But most interesting was the variation in some of the common birds. Whilst trying to relocate a perplexing Cuckoo-dove type thing that Fred Smith had seen, Neil Macumber, Bill Watson and myself kept seeing the most unusual Olive-backed Orioles. One looked thickset and large, rather like a bowerbird, whilst another seemed to have a bill the size and shape of a Friarbird, and was actually drinking nectar (or water) from a large frangipani type flower. I think they were all Orioles, but the variation was quite startling.

Another oddity was the White-eye situation. We seemed to be seeing two types- one fairly typical of the Pale White-eye, the other much yellower both on the back and the front. One bird I got a good look at was only white on the lower belly and vent area. I have a strong suspicion that one of the forms may actually turn out to be New Guinea White-eye. If anyone wants to add a new bird for the Oz list, a trip to Darnley, armed with a mist net, a camera and some decent reference books could be the go.

Our final day was spent on Dove Islet, a small sand cay which had nesting Black-naped Tern with Bridled Tern nearby and Warraber Island which had heaps of waders and some more typical Pale White-eyes. The trip back to Horn Island was in winds and seas which so fierce that if it were a boat trip down South, we would never have set out. At one stage the winds were registering at 37 knots and the waves were rising to almost three metres. It made for a very subdued final night celebrations.

And we had a lot to celebrate. Everyone got at least two lifers (even Mike and Fred) but the trip held more pleasures than just birds. Snorkeling the small reef off Darnley was a highlight for me, but just being on that great boat in that part of the world, becoming familiar with the rhythm of the sea, sitting on deck, eating dinner beneath another glorious tropical sunset, after a long day's birding with a group of like minded souls was pretty tough to get used to.

I had spent the weeks previous pretty much alone in the Outback and had been looking forward to the company, and I can safely say that after ten days in the company of nine other birders for twenty-four hours a day, gee I was glad to be alone again.

Sean Dooley, August 30, 563 species.