birding-aus

PNG a must!

Subject: PNG a must!
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:05:04 +1000

I spent 3 months in PNG this year (Jan-Mar) and it was beyond anything I could ever have imagined!  I went initially for the wildlife however the people and the culture were just as fantastic!  I spent the first month doing bird banding research in a conservation area in the highlands near Goroka.  There were plenty of birds of paradise, pidgeons, kingfishers, honeyeaters, pitohuis, raptors with almost every day yielded another species i hadn't seen before.  Some of the highlights for me was getting to see a chestnut-backed jewel babbler and a male magnificent bird of paradise in the hand - nothing short of stunning.  My advice to anyone going to PNG is to maximise your time away from the cities, be very patient and allow penty of time for logistics making sure to get into the villages where there is amazing hospitality and a wonderful culture to explore.  For those who are genuinely interested in going to Crate r Mountain Conservation Area and helping with some long term bird research in the area (absolute minimum one month) you should contact the Widlife Conservation Society (WCS PNG) who coordinate this and many other wildlife research programs throughout PNG. WCS has a web site with contact details.  Since Aussies have the advantage of experience with some similar species WCS (American based organisation) are keen for more Aussies to get involved in their work.  As a single white woman I was told many horror stories and warned not to go to PNG, however if you go with common sense and a sense of adventure the opportunities are endless.  I fell in love with the country, the people and the wildlife and I will be returning again as soon as possible!

Lorne Johnson <>
Sent by:

19/09/02 09:25
Please respond to lorne

        cc:
        Subject:        [BIRDING-AUS] PNG

Hello birdlovers... Lorne here...

I'm tossing up whether to go to NZ, PNG or somewhere else entirely, for
birdwatching purposes, in December.

Has anybody gone birding in PNG on this list? What was it like? I tend
to think PNG is rough and a worry in some parts, so I'm not rushing to
go, but the birdlife up there is magnificent, and I'd love to see birds
of paradise, jewel-babblers, different kookaburras, pittas etc... Can
some one give me any info/tips/advice???

Thanks.

LGJ

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.