birding-aus

Black-eared Cuckoo at Point Cook (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-eared Cuckoo at Point Cook (Vic)
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:15:25 +1000
Hi All,
      Following up on Paul McDonald's report of Letter-winged Kites at Point
Cook (see below)  there were certainly many Black-shouldered Kites around
the area but, unfortunately, I couldn't turn any of them into LWK's.
       After covering the area, thought we would check out Point Cook.  Just
past the RAAF carpark, we pulled over to let another car pass and sitting in
a tree no more than 15' from me, was my FIRST Black-eared Cuckoo.   It was
very obliging, even allowing me to get out of the vehicle to have a better
view.  It then flew to a more open tree and I was able to watch it for about
5 minutes before it flew off.
I've had this bird on my "mythical list" for some time, so was surprised,
and delighted, to have it almost at arm's length without even looking for
it!.
        Onto Spectacle Lake where I watched a rabbit commit suicide!
Through the telescope, I was watching a Brown Goshawk sitting on a log on
the edge of the lake, when into view wandered a rabbit. The Goshawk hardly
moved and then with a lightning fast manoeuvre, had the rabbit before it
knew what had happened. A warm lunch.
       Life's never boring while your birding.
       Happy birding all
       Marlene