birding-aus

Whale watching weekend off Eden / Mirrimbula

To: <>
Subject: Whale watching weekend off Eden / Mirrimbula
From: "Ecology Solutions" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:05:04 +1000
Dear All,

After the success of the Blue Whale trip in the Otway Basin we have decided to run another trip off Mirrimbula/ Eden this November.

The main aim of the event is to see some whales. The secondary aim is to gether in one place, people who are interested in and enthusiastic about whales.

I am negotiating a vessel for the 9th and 10th November. The boat is called the 'True Blue' and operates out of Mirrimbula (http://www.acr.net.au/~merimbulamarina/true_blue.htm). Cost is yet to be confirmed but will be ~$100 per day for a full day at sea.

As always, the trip is heavily weather dependent. We won't be expected to pay for the vessel if we don't use it and our charge will be dependent on the length of a trip. If we go out for a full day, the cost will be roughly as above. For shorter inshore trips (if it is too rough to head into deep water), the cost will be nearer $60. There is of course the possibility of a complete wash out and for this, the cost will be a few beers and entry into the Eden Whaling Museum. However, this is unlikely and at this time of the year there will be a great many Humpback Whales close to the shore so sightings should be virtually guaranteed.

The aim of going out to sea for the day (if possible) will be to search for other species near the shelf-edge. Sperm Whales, Pilot Whales, Orcas and Rissos Dolphins are the kinds of species that might be expected. Again, nothing can be guaranteed but we hope to have some hydrophone equipment on board which should improve our chances of locating them.

I will need to know straight away who is interested. We have a break-even point of about 30 people to make it cost effective. So by all means let your friends, family and anyone else know about this. The vessel takes a maximum of 75 so we shouldn't book out. However, I would like to keep the numbers below about 45 for the sake of comfort. Positions will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis so please email as soon as possible if you are interested.

We are also in a position to organise accomodation. Please note, that the first trip may leave early in the morning on Saturday 9th November so you'll need to be in Mirrimbula by Friday evening. Some of us are thinking of heading down on Friday morning and may organise a bus.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.