birding-aus

Noisy Friardbird in SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Noisy Friardbird in SE Melbourne
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:12:34 +1000
One has been in Brighton's poshest shopping and coffee
street for 44 days (or so)!

BOCA had a report of one on 14th July feeding in gums in
Church St. and today one of my hair tubing colleagues
described one seen last on Friday - very noisy! I went along
on this beaut day at 1500 and there it was !

The location is between Carpenters and St Andrews Streets
where there are about six eucalypts (saved when the majority
of shopkeepers voted for deciduous trees). Melway p67 D/E
11. The bird was mainly in a small E.leucoxylon rosea which
has more blossom than any of the other trees, making
occasional flycatching sallies and calling a lot. (However I
did not notice it the first time I walked past).  The tree
is opposite a shop called 'Feathers' !

Shopkeepers told me the bird has been around for weeks. It
is very approachable - I was watching it from 4 metres.

Presumably it is here because of the failure, due I
understand to drought, of blossom in the box-ironbark areas
of central Victoria. A Musk Lorikeet in one of the gums was
probably here for the same reason.

Other birds in the trees were White-plumed Honeyeaters, Red
Wattlebirds, one Little Wattlebird and Common Mynas. Silver
Gulls hang around for scraps.

If you go, enjoy the shops and take the opportunity to chat
to the locals ! A field guide might help.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife