birding-aus

It's "What Tattler Is That" time again

To: <>
Subject: It's "What Tattler Is That" time again
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:04:54 +1000
Hello All,
On Thursday 22nd Aug 2002 I saw my first Tattler for the new (Australian)
financial year down the road at Pelican Park on the Redcliffe Peninsular just
north of Brisbane, Australia.
It was a single individual and was on the rock retaining wall where I regularly
saw (and photographed with my you-beaut digital camera) a small flock of
Grey-taileds during last Aussie Summer.
"Here we go again!" I found myself muttering to myself. "Is this going to be my
'Wandering Tattler Year' at last?"
The answer was incomprehensible.

Unfortunately, this was just an 'I'm passing so I might as well drop in' visit
so I didn't have a scope, camera gear or good binos.
And it was overcast between showers.

This particular bird was fairly dark on top and had, at least, a fair amount of
breeding pattern below.
I could not see any obvious extension of the eye-line behind the eye but there
was a significant amount of white underneath in the manner of a Grey-tailed.
The bird called once. I would describe the call as: "Teet-a-teet".

I decided it was most probably a Grey-tailed Tattler.

Maybe next time.......

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point