birding-aus

Dealing with Whales Entangled in Craypots

To: <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Dealing with Whales Entangled in Craypots
From: "Ecology Solutions" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:23:22 +1000
Michael,

I agree with your sentiments about the prosecutions. However, the spirit of
the article and the nature of these kinds of events leads me to be concerned
that it might put people in dangerous situations. Right Whales are downright
dangerous and people have become close to being killed by them in the States
for these reasons. They are about 50 tonnes and capable of smashing a human
being to death with a single flick of the tail. You've seen the power of
cetaceans in films like Trials of Life which shows fur seals being flipped
thirty feet in the air by Orcas which are only a fraction of the size and
strength of a Right Whale.

On the issue of craypots - I understand that this was a craypot
entanglement. If it was, it was the third reported incident this year of a
large baleen whale getting tangled in a craypot rope. That's quite
significant. I personally have anything against craypots in principle, but
there are ways of minimising some of the problems which would be important
in areas of high whale density. If nothing else, it'll mean that less people
like the team at CALM Western Australia, have to put their lives at risk
each year.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe - Director

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Website www.ecology-solutions.com.au