birding-aus

RFI Cape Town and New Orleans

Subject: RFI Cape Town and New Orleans
From: "Denis Lepage" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:33:34 -0400
Hello from Canada,

There are many good places around Cape Town. I've lived there for 2 years
between 1998-2000.

Strandfontein Sewage Lagoon is a mecca, with hundreds of Flamingoes,
shorebirds, pelicans, waterfowl, Gallinules, etc., etc. This site is adjacent to
the False Bay, not far from Muizenberg. Despite that some books will tell
you that you need a permit to access the place, I've never had any problem
getting to the site without one. I've even tried to phone to inquire, but no-one
cared, really. You can easily spend hours and hours navigating the network
of dikes. I've never heard anyone having bad experience with safety there, but
I'd recommend against going alone if possible.

The African Penguin colony, at Boulders, is not to be missed. Incidently, a
Greater Sheatbill has been reported there for a long time, so it's worth
inquiring if it's still around (it showed up just after I left! Arg!!).

West Coast National park is a great place for shorebirds in the spring, and
flowers right about now. This is about 1.5 hours north of the city. It also has
a few bigger mammals (bonteboks and various other antelopes, if I recall).

Cape Point offers some reasonable Fynbos birding, but it'is never been a
great birding place for me. It is however very scenic and should not be
missed. Also has Zebras, Bonteboks, Elans, Ostriches (feral ones), etc.

Kirstenbosch it by far the most wonderful botanical garden I've ever been to.
Just a fantastic place, with Cape Sugarbirds, Sunbirds (Greater Double-
collared, Orange-bellied), Francolins, etc. etc. Make sure to also walk in the
forest trails starting from the Garden. Paradise Flycatchers, Cape Batises
and others await you.

Sir Lowry's Pass, east of Cape Town, is great for moutain endemics and
specialties, including the Cape Rockjumper, my all time favorite.

Paarl's sewage lagoon is also worth visiting if you're in the Paarl area.

A pelagic trip is also very worthwhile and I would highly recommend Zest for
Bird.

Take care and enjoy Cape Town and South Africa.
Denis Lepage