birding-aus

Little Tern Item in Yesterday's News

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Little Tern Item in Yesterday's News
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:13:00 +1000
http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s652307.htm

Monday, August 19, 2002. Posted: 11:24:57 (AEDT)
Baiting program brings back little tern

A baiting program in a national park near Sawtell south of Coffs Harbour has
begun in an effort to eradicate an increasing number of feral animals in the
area.

Foxes and wild dogs will be the focus of the baits in the Bongil Bongil National
Park .

National Parks ranger Martin Smith says up to 20 feral animals are removed from
the park each year and as a result the endangered little tern has been brought
back from localised extinction.

The recovery of the birds is largely dependent on the removal of foxes when the
birds are nesting and breeding.

Mr Smith says local residents with animals should not be worried about the
program but should keep their animals locked in at night.

"The program is strictly controlled and regulated where the baits are buried,"
he said.

"We go through what's called a free-baiting period where the baits that are used
contain no poison.

" We use a flattened sand area around the buried bait and ensure that a targeted
species either a wild dog or a fox is accessing the baits before we slip in a
poisoned bait."

LK