birding-aus

Suburban Barking Owl

To: Mark Kliene <>
Subject: Suburban Barking Owl
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:48:30 +1000
>explained the owls' plumage and overall description - but what pricked
>my ears up was the fact that the owl emits a ' small dog Woof Woof  '
>call. It comes and goes and her next door neighbour regularly feeds it!

The "small dog woof woof" could equally well describe the 'boo-book' call of
the Southern
Boobook.  Most people who've heard a Barking Owl wouldn't necessarily agree
that it sounds like a
small dog - they're LOUD!

.... but an interesting record no doubt if it turns out to be a Barker.  Best
way is to go and see
it when it's around - come back and tell us the answer!

Re their conservation status - they're listed as Threatened under the Vic
'Flora & Fauna Guarantee
Act 1988' and regarded by DNRE (2000) as Endangered in Victoria.

L.

Lawrie Conole
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale Vic 3032 AUSTRALIA

AH 03 9370 3928  Mob 0419 588 993

Senior Zoologist
Ecology Australia Pty Ltd
88 B Station Street, Fairfield Vic 3078 AUSTRALIA

www.ecologyaustralia.com.au
BH 03 9489 4191  Mob 0419 588 993  Fax 03 9481 7679