birding-aus

Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island
From: "Gavin Goodyear" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:44:49 +1000
G'day BA'ers

Just a brief note on an enjoyable Sunday (11/8/02) morning trip to Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island. Quite a few Terns were present out on the spit. I managed to read a couple of bands on Crested Terns. Also present were Lesser Cresteds (4-6), Common Terns (c.20) and Silver Gulls. With the Commons was a possible White-fronted.

Back at the lagoon were plenty of ducks,ibis and stilts. Red-kneed Dotterals were present as well as a Spotless Crake and a Baillion's Crake feeding on the same small patch of mud, sometimes together although they seemed to be taking it in turns. I have never observed these species together at the same time so this was my personal highlight of the day. At the moment and nearly every time I have birded here there has been plenty of birds to keep me occupied and is well worth a visit by anyone visiting this area

Cheers
Gavin Goodyear
Petrie Qld