birding-aus

Abroad thoughts from home (SE Melbourne)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Abroad thoughts from home (SE Melbourne)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:22:11 +1000
Yes - this is a wonderful mailing list.  I had more replies
to my urgent request for photos for my State MP than I could
cope with.  Thanks to all.

The highlight of my 7 weeks overseas (7 countries, 25 beds,
35 relatives) was at Hampstead Heath in London. It's almost
10 years since I was last there.

A kingfisher - Alcedo atthis - was by an artificial nesting
bank which I, as member of the local conservation society,
helped create about 15 years ago.  They bred there for the
first time in 2001.

Also Common Terns have been nesting on a raft we put out for
them and the Reed Warblers are still at a reed bed planted
for them.  The nearest colony to central London.

And there is a good wildlife education centre. Bats seem to
be a major interest with bat walks more than once a month in
summer.

Some things improve !

And when I was in Seville I heard the Ricketts Point Marine
Sanctuary is now law!
Thanks to all who helped with the lobbying (spiritually as
well as practically).

And thanks to the rest of you with putting up with my
mailings on that - and other - topics.  And thanks
especially to Russell Woodford and Andrew Taylor for
managing the list and archive.

Michael Norris