birding-aus

RFI: spring trip to E. Aus

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI: spring trip to E. Aus
From: Jon King <>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:04:56 -0700
Hi Aus birders,

I'm a Brit who will be intensively birding eastern Aus this spring
(mid-Oct to mid-Dec). Very briefly, our route includes Cape York (to
Iron Range), Cairns area, Atherton Tablelands, etc., south to Brisbane,
through southernmost Queensland to Strzelecki Track and Flinders Range,
to Adelaide, throughout NSW and southern and coastal Vic incl. mallee
sites, Deniliquin, etc., and Tasmania. I have collated trip reports, web
info, and have both the Bransbury and Thomas + Thomas site guides. I
have also had invaluable info privately via this listserve; many thanks
Giles Daubeney for grasswren sites, and Justin Jansen (Netherlands) for
forwarding gen he's been sent in response to his recent posting.

I have many queries regarding detailed site info for certain species -
here are a few to start with. Any information on one, some, or all of
these would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if some are the same
old questions always asked by visiting birders.

Red Goshawk - reliable sites in the east of its range.

Grey Falcon - reliable sites in Sturt NP, on Strzelecki, or elsewhere
for that matter.

Rufous Treecreeper - sites on the northern Eyre Peninsula.

Gibber Chat - are there any reliable sites along/near Strzelecki?

Golden-shouldered Parrot - detailed site info on the Cape York peninsula
(is the Musgrave site in Thomas and Thomas still valid?).

Relict Raven - reliable sites, and especially, the northernmost reliable
sites on/near Hwy.1.

Regent Honeyeater - likely reliable spring site(s).

Red-lored Whistler - is Gluepot the only reliable site in e.SA/w.Vic?

Adelaide ICI Saltworks - what is the current public access situation
here? Would any keyholding birders be interested in accompanying us
on/around 19-20 November?

Very many thanks for your help. Cheers, Jon.