birding-aus

Pardalotes - Where does the word come from?

Subject: Pardalotes - Where does the word come from?
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:18:21 +1000
To add to Helen's reply, it originates from the generic name for the species of pardalotes - Pardalotus, which is likely derived from pardalitos as Helen points out - I know that with mammals the book what Mammal is that details the composition of scientific names and their meaning, so maybe What Bird is That does _ I obvioulsy don-t have the book!.

Happy Birding