birding-aus

Carrying field guides and backpacks

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Carrying field guides and backpacks
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:56:12 +1000
Tony R. said;

> Good on you Judy, now I know who else to go to when I need to look
something
> up in the field.

Hey Tony!!  You can have a look at mine anytime you like!  :)

Being on seriously heavy duty "L" plates for long enough for it to be more
than completely embarrassing (and also on birding-aus for just as long) I do
not even attempt an i.d. without the bird in clear sight with my binoculars
in one hand and an exact replica of said binoculared bird appearing in my
field guide held in the other hand.   Then, to double check, I usually ring
someone far more experienced than I and ask "Could I have seen a "such and
such" at "such and such a place".  I'm a total wimp.

I've just returned from a 4 week semi whale-trail along the east coast
(Humpbacks galore) so hope to catch up on the birding news now I've
re-subscribed to birding-aus (any up-dates on the Powerful Owl appreciated).
I've just managed to up-date myself with the Dool's Diaries from the
archives.  What a legend !!

Rgds
Karen
Hampton, Vic.