birding-aus

birding from a chair

To: <>
Subject: birding from a chair
From: "Jim Davis" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:24:13 -0500
  Birding from a chair offers three advantages (over walking) when one's
focus is on watching behaviour.  These are: 1) You are less likely to
disturb the birds  2) if the chair has a back rest, it is much easier on the
neck when looking into the trees and 3) it is much easier to take notes
while sitting down. Whether I see more species while sitting as oppose to
walking is simply unimportant to me although I did enjoy watching the Red
Goshawk in Mt Isa. Although it is possible to observe behaviour while
walking, it is much more efficient to do so when sitting down.

  Nowadays, I exclusively use a Handspring PDA with a portable keyboard to
take field notes.  The PDA (and keyboard) fits in my shirt pocket and when I
get home I simply "hotsynch" the PDA to my computer ... no need to
transcribe or rewrite my notes.  After leaving Mt Isa and Bob's great
company, Linda and I visited the Cassowary House (Phil and Sue Gregory) in
Kuranda.  Not only did we encounter Cassowaries but we watched a Victoria
Riflebird perform displays in front of a female.  In this situation, I
enjoyed viewing the drama from a comfort of chair.

Cheers, Jim

Dr Wm James Davis, Editor

Interpretive Birding Bulletin
Take birding to the next level ...