birding-aus

Maroubra news

Subject: Maroubra news
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:25:53 +1000

A good seawatch off Mistral Point, Maroubra, south-east Sydney
yesterday (25th) turned up another Arctic Tern, this time a sub-adult
with a dark bill, about 300-400 meters from the cliffs. This is the
third record here this winter, and this was a different bird from the
adult Dave Mitford and I saw on 10th July.
Also an Antarctic Prion feeding close to the cliffs, allowing
prolonged views, and a Great-winged Petrel (New Zealand race)
wheeling around in the winds a couple of hundred meters out.

White-fronted Terns are now regular, as are Brown Skuas, and Hutton's
Shearwaters are beginning to come through in numbers, some days
outnumbering Fluttering. There still hasn't been a single Wandering
Albatross this winter off Maroubra that I've heard of (five records
during summer and early autumn). A Cape Petrel on 21st was another
good recent record.

On another note, Roger McGovern saw a Striated Heron last weekend at
the south end of Maroubra Beach, and I saw a Bar-shouldered Dove by
the rifle range on Wednesday, birds number 180 and 181 for the local
list since 1996 (Maroubra Beach and Malabar Headland), which doesn't
include seven historic records.
--
Dr Rod Gardner
Senior Lecturer