birding-aus

Rebuilding the bower

Subject: Rebuilding the bower
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:36:43 +1100
Hello All,

On Tuesday I took a visitor to see the Satin Bowerbird's bower at Leura
Cascades (in the Blue Mountains, NSW). The owner of this bower is a
beautiful glossy blue male who has amassed an impressive collection of blue
(and yellow) decorations. A week earlier I had watched him displaying to a
female in this bower.

When we arrived on Tuesday, the male bird was in the bower and I couldn't
help feeling sorry for him. The bower walls had been taken apart and
flattened (I assume by a rival male) - a carpet of sticks now covering his
array of blue items. The bird was painstakingly picking up the sticks one
by one and carefully rebuilding the walls of the bower, poking each stick
vertically into the base as securely as he could. He had a long job ahead
of him, and he was so engrossed in his work that he took no notice of us as
we quietly watched from only a few feet away. It must be tough being a
bowerbird!

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets