birding-aus

Hybrid Pacific Black Duck?

Subject: Hybrid Pacific Black Duck?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:33:10 +1000
On Saturday I was riding around the eastern basin of Lake Burley Griffin in
Canberra and stopped to observe the large numbers of Black Swans; at least
85 at first count.

Also in evidence was a very large number of Pacific Black Ducks. One closer
inspection one of the PBDs was unlike the others. Size, shape and general
body colouration were that of a PBD, but its legs were bright orange and the
head had a somewhat similar colouration of a Grey Teal though substantially
darker - no supercilium was evident. The throat too lacked the tan
colouration of a PBD and was the same colour as the body. The bill was the
same slate grey as the PBD. While I had good views of the duck I did not
have binoculars with me so I missed some identifying features such as the
colour of the speculum.  A perusal of hybrids in HANZAB hasn't helped
identify the duck, but I presume it to be a Mallard/PBD hybrid. Anyone else
have an idea?

Cheers
Alastair
Alastair Smith