birding-aus

Cape York trip

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cape York trip
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:35:19 +1000
Hi all,

Just back from a month from travelling to Cape York
from Bundaberg staying a week at Townsville for my
eldest son's Table Tennis.

All up 255 species....which wasn't too bad considering
winter is not the best time for many CY endemics or
waders along the way.

Highlights include:

14 Goldened Shouldered Parrots near Windmill Ck.
Close up views feeding and preening in trees

22 diurnal raptors.Best....Red Goshawk....single bird
~10km north of the Weipa turnoff.Black Falcon at Lake Emma
in Lakefield NP.Also saw our only Black-breasted Buzzards
there too.It is well worth the drive through Cooktown via Battle Camp
and then go north through Old Laura.
Feral pigs are doing an enormous amount of damage to
swamp margins throughout the Cape.

Jullaten ,of course, involves staying with Ron at Kingfisher Park.
Best there for me was the 3 HE's Yellow-spotted;Lewins &
Graceful together on the feeders! Not at all similar when seen
so close.3 Papuan Froggies in the orchard were new to me.

Townsville provided Diamond Doves,Black Falcon,Red-backed ButtonQ
and probably prettiest were Budgies at close range in dead trees nesting
That area around Toonpan on the Charters Towers road is fantastic.

Big Mitchell Ck near Jullaten provided the best views possible of
White-browed Robin and (hopefully) good photos.Also huge Olive Python.

On the tip itself Magnificent Riflebirds;Frilled Monarch and a very
obliging (and loud) Yellow-legged Flycatcher the highlights.
Lockerbie Scrub the best area.
A trip on boat to Little Woody Is. in Torres Strait provided Pale White-eye
and great views of Mangrove Golden Whistler....the yellow collar
being so much mor obvious than the Golden.

Non birds highlights included Striped Possum;Giant White-tailed Rat;
Grasslands Melomys. At Undara Lava tubes Eastern Horseshoe Bat;Common
Sheathtail Bat.
Rock Wallabies....Godmans,Mareeba,Allied and Unadorned.

Blew up the front Diff on the way home which was a bit of a dampener
but the roads in places were a bit interesting for our 11year old Landrover

All the best,

Bill