birding-aus

White Plumed Honeyeater

Subject: White Plumed Honeyeater
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:59:12 +1000
I spotted a White Plumed Honeyeater in the Central Tablelands at a spot
off the Ilford -Sofala Rd at about 1000m altitude.  First time I've seen
them there in about 10 years of regular visits to the spot.  The area
supports stringybark woodland with shrub understory, including Syphelia
sp that the Eastern Spinebills feed on.  The site also has Banksia
integrifolia that we have planted in flower now.

Most common birds are 5 species of Thornbills(brown, buff rumped,
striated, yellow and yellow rumped), grey fantails and white throated
treecreepers.  Scarlet Robins are regular in autumn-winter.  Red browed
treecreepers can be found in the forested gullies.  Red & Little
wattlebirds and noisy friarbirds visit regularly.  The main resident HE
is the White cheeked and Eastern Spinebills.  There have been quite a
few Brown headed HE's around the last few months.    Would this be
unusual habitat for a white plumed?

rgds,  Chris Ross