birding-aus

More winter raptor watching. (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: More winter raptor watching. (Vic)
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:01:05 +1000
Hi all,

     Further to Michael's posting, I also had a fabulous day with raptors.
Bought some sandwiches in Nagambie, then drove to Kirwan's Bridge to sit by the backwater of the Goulburn Weir.
      As we approached the track down to the waters edge, a Black-shouldered Kite and Brown Falcon were sitting on the fence posts of the Kirwan Bridge Winery.  Set up our chairs down by the water and immediately Whistling Kites (3) flew into view.  When these slowly headed south the local White-plumed Honeyeaters settled down again....for a few minutes.
      Then, not only the honeyeaters, but the Swamphens and Coots made me aware that danger lurked.  A pair of beautiful White-bellied Sea-Eagles flew over, with their wings almost touching.
      To finish off the raptor display, a Hobby and Swamp Harrier also made an appearance.   All this within 20 minutes.  Thank goodness I wasn't planning a hot lunch.
Kirwan's Bridge picnic area  (36 45 06S  145 08 11E)
      Happy birding
      Marlene