birding-aus

Lyrebirds at Washpool National Park

Subject: Lyrebirds at Washpool National Park
From: "david taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:02:03 +0000

Spent time at Washpool National Park near Glen Innes last weekend. I was particularly pleased to see evidence of good numbers of Superb Lyrebirds - saw up to five individual birds and heard regular calling from many birds across the park. The birds were in fine song, and I watched one male at very close distance entertain with a repertoure of mimics including Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo, Bellbird, Whipbird, Currawong ,Satin Bowerbird , Riflebird and Kookaburra.
I would recommend the park as a very good spot to see Superb Lyrebirds. Facilities at the park and the nearby Gibraltar Range National Park are excellent.

A very close encouter with a Spotted-tailed Quoll was another highlight!

cheers,

David Taylor

Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to