birding-aus

SA Mallee and Coastal Vic advice

Subject: SA Mallee and Coastal Vic advice
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 22:09:54 +1000
Hello Birdos,

I'm after some goss. I'm planning a birdwatching trip for August to the SA mallee and southern Victoria in late August and am trawling for any particular advice on places to visit or stay. I've only birdwatched in Victoria once and that was in the north-west corner. I'll give an outline on where I was thinking of going and roughly what I'd be looking for.

Scotia Sanctuary and Tarawi NR- Scotia to see their mammals. Tarawi to look for the usual array of mallee birds.
Gluepot- the same. Also Black-eared Miners and Scarlet-chested Parrots?
Ngarkat CP- Mallee Whipbird and Slender-billed Thornbill.

At all the above sites I'll be looking for and trying to get audio recordings of birds, particularly Red-lored and Gilberts Whistlers to compare with my recordings from central NSW. Maybe a bit of photography. Any spots on this route for Rufous Fieldwrens? What about Cape Barren Goose?

After this I was planning on heading for the coast and finding Rufous Bristlebirds (Port Campbell?), Striated Fieldwrens, Purple-crowned Lorikeets etc. I'd love to see Orange-bellied Parrots. Any advice on good spots to look for these birds? Is late August still OK to look for the OBParrots? From here I'm considering either heading across country back to Griffith or continuing along the coast towards Barren Grounds NR. Any recommendations for places in north-east Victoria?

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received. Maybe I'll be able to return the favour sometime.

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW