birding-aus

Honeyeaters and a relatively quiet Capertee Valley (NSW)

Subject: Honeyeaters and a relatively quiet Capertee Valley (NSW)
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:49:47 +1100
Hi All

Alan Morris and Graham Turner have each commented on the lack of
honeyeaters west of the ranges. Last week I made two one-day trips with
clients to the Capertee Valley, where I found honeyeaters to be also
relatively few and far between, with nothing of significance in flower. By
starting early in the southern end of the valley we did manage to find 11
species of honeyeater, including Black-chinned, Fuscous, Brown-headed,
Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced and White-naped, but these were harder to find
than usual and nothing like the large numbers which are sometimes around
the valley at this time of year. Those we saw were feeding on lerp. If
there were any Spiny-cheeked, Striped or Blue-faced around they weren't
making themselves apparent to us, and likewise with Regents. Interestingly,
not a single lorikeet was seen on either day.

By contrast, the Blue Mountains currently has large numbers of honeyeaters
in the flowering banksias, especially around Woodford-Hazelbrook. These are
mainly Yellow-faced, White-naped, Crescent, Red & Little Wattlebirds, and
the ubiquitous New Hollands, with the occasional White-cheeked thrown in
for interest. Of course none of the real woodland species.

Despite the cold windy weather, last week's trips to the Capertee Valley
did turn up Scarlet, Flame and Red-capped Robins, large numbers of finches
(except Plum-headed), Jacky Winters literally everywhere, Hooded Robins,
Speckled Warblers, etc, and the highlight, Turquoise Parrots seen twice in
opposite ends of the valley. So, despite a relatively quiet time in the
valley there is always something nice to see!

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba