birding-aus

More South West Adventures

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>, <>
Subject: More South West Adventures
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:53:11 +1000
Hello Frank, Edwin and other taxonomists!

Frank, I don't deny that different calls don't qualify the splitting of species at the moment but I am wondering why. Excuse the rough definitions below, I haven't got time to check proper definitions at the moment.

After all, isn't the standard definition of a species - reproductively isolated populations? Therefore, if it is believed that two taxa overlap and don't interbreed or wouldn't interbreed if they did overlap then the taxa are different species. To carry this argument through, if two populations call differently to each other there would be every chance that they wouldn't respond to each other reproductively.

If the two calling populations are well separated it starts to become a bit of a problem, but what if two different calling populations abut. I guess that what is needed is knowledge of calls across the range of a species to see if the variation is clinal or sharp.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW