birding-aus

More Bribie Island seabirds

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: More Bribie Island seabirds
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 20:11:01 +1000
Like Trevor Ford, a few of us on the Gold Coast, filled with our success on
Wednesday, headed back to Hastings Point today.

We were not quite as lucky as those at Bribie.  Our tally was way down on
Wednesday's list.  The sea could best be described as "a millpond" with very
few waves of any size.

The only terns seen were Crested.  This is the only time I have been to
Hastings Point when there was only one species of tern.  The sea birds
included Prions which were too far away to positively identify but were
assumed to be Fairies, a pair of Fluttering Shearwaters, some shearwaters
(or petrels) seen far offshore, the usual Gannets and a Booby floating on
the water just too far off to identify.

A trio of Humpback Whales passed on their way north.  They were not in a pod
but travelling alone.  One was seen clearly in the scopes.  There was a
large number of dolphins swimming up and down all morning.  They all
appeared to be Bottlenose.  Watching some of them surfing in on the small
waves was magnificent.  A large shark (species unknown) was seen chasing
morning tea at one stage.

Other species seen around the rocks included the resident Wandering Tattler.
It must have forgotten which way to go for winter.  There was a Reef Heron
(Grey phase) and a Mangrove Kingfisher sitting on top of the rocks (catching
crabs?) surrounded by water and well away from any mangroves.

I guess we might try again early next week (after the weekend tourists fade
away).

Good birding

Terry Pacey