birding-aus

News from S.W.Qld.

To: <>
Subject: News from S.W.Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:59:11 +0930
Winter is here and still no rain. The country is starting to look quite desolate with creeks and lakes drying up rapidly, if not already dry.
However, as always, the bird life is fascinating. Our first Grey Falcon sighting for the season last week.We usually start to see them about the middle of May so a bit late this year.We've had heaps of Crimson Chats about this year along with Red-capped Robins.During the last month we've had several guests who've had "particularly want to see lists" with Hall's Babblers, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush and Plum-headed Finches on all. We've been able to oblige with the Babblers for all, the Finches for most but the Quail-thrush for only a few. My daughter and I spent nearly a whole Sunday a few weeks ago trying to locate the Quail-thrush with no luck at all but had a wonderful day. We watched a White-browed Treecreeper  for quite some time foraging along mud on branches in a dead tree, we saw a group of Fairy-wrens[couldn't tell which sort] busily darting around galvanised burr with a lone Double-barred Finch and sitting on a low bare branch of an Acacia tree right next to the burr bush 2 Plum-heads. Quite a few Blue-bonnets and Mulga Parrots, and then driving home along our sad looking creek a Square-tailed Kite.
Ian, along with several guests has seen Grey-headed Honeyeaters in a couple of different locations. I know that according to the maps that they shouldn't be here but they definitely are. They're eating a sticky sort of sappy stuff that the Mulga trees are oozing,[probably because of the very dry conditions].
We've had a couple of sightings of Peregrine Falcons in the last couple of weeks, and although Ian and I have seen them here  they're another one to add to our bird list which has been compiled of sightings by visitors since July 2000.
Cheers.
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490