birding-aus

Reply to David McDonald

Subject: Reply to David McDonald
From: Jim Downey <>(by way of Hugo Phillipps <>)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:22:36 +1000
I would like to respond to David McDonald's comments regarding the report
in The Age about the New Atlas.

Firstly, it does puzzle me why David's concerns were not raised with me
directly which makes me wonder whether this is pure grandstanding.  I also
find the comment " don't hold your breath for a reply etc... it seems to be
his corporate style to ignore the BA membership " as absolute waffle and
without substance.  David - can I suggest if you hold those views ring me
and I will address that claim with you personally.

The launch on Monday was a presentation to the Minister of the report to
Environment Australia that we were required to produce as part of our
contract with them in exchange for providing funding for the project.

It was not the launch of the Atlas, it was the presentation of the report.
The Atlas will be launched in Dec 2002 after we lay it out, design it
and get it printed.  BA members will be invited.

In the meantime, to the event last Monday we invited all regional
organisers and Atlasers who had completed over a certain amount of surveys.
 We received about 70 acceptances and this filled the hall - which by the
way to answer David's question was held at the Werribbee Treatment Plant
Auditorium.  The event was a great success and gave Birds Australia a
terrific opportunity to further educate the Federal Minister for the
Environment on our work and the conservation issues facing our birds.

To David - in closing - I look forward to either receiving your phone call
or seeing you at the Launch of the Atlas in Dec 2002.

cheers

Jim Downey
BA CEO

Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Website: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>