birding-aus

London Trip

To: <>
Subject: London Trip
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:30:35 +1000
Hi all

Had three weeks in Europe in May, weather was great, birding fantastic too.

LONDON/NETHERLANDS MAY 2002

PART ONE

We spent 2 days in the centre of London basically being a tourist but of course managed to see a few birds as well. Many were seen at St James’s Park, so have been introduced there. Most species I also saw again in the "real wild" in Holland where we spent two weeks. I will post the Holland report in a separate mailing.

It was my first trip to Europe so there were going to be a lot of new birds, but I really hadn’t expected to see as many as I did in London, but with all the parks and gardens it is hardly surprising. Amazingly enough I only saw two House Sparrows in London. We didn’t get to a wetland area close to the city, which would no doubt have added several more species.

Thanks to all those people who sent me information on where to go birding in Holland as well. Also meeting up with a local "birdo" for about 3 days  in Holland was also of tremendous help particularly with calls.

LONDON LIST

Feral Pigeon

Common Magpie

Common Starling

Common Blackbird

House Sparrow

Great Cormorant

Canada Goose

Mallard

Wood Pigeon

Black headed Gull

Common Gull

Lesser Black backed Gull

Blue Tit

Common Raven (tame ones at Tower of London, doesn’t really count!)

Eurasian Coot

Carrion Crow

Herring Gull

Great crested Grebe

Black Swan

Mute Swan

Wood Duck (Australian)

Tufted Duck

Red crested Pochard

Common Pochard

Ruddy Shelduck

Barnacle Goose

Greylag Goose

White-fronted Goose

White-headed Duck

Common Eider

Red-breasted Merganser

Song Thrush

Common Swift

Fulvous Tree Duck

Ross’s Goose

Eurasian Wigeon

Red-breasted Goose

Wood Duck ( Carolina )

Mandarin Duck

Great Tit

Ruddy Duck

Winter Wren

Of these, 32 were new species but as I said earlier many of them, mostly water birds, were introduced to St James Park so don’t count as far as listing goes but were good to see anyway.

Will get around to posting a more detailed Part two of the more serious birding done in The Netherlands.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin (Dungog)