birding-aus

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:45:48 +0100

To: <>
Subject: Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:45:48 +0100
From: "martyn bailey" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:45:57 +1000 (EST)
Hi,
I am a British birder recently retired and with my wife I will be touring Australia looking for birds. It will be our first visit to this part of the world. My proposed itinerary is as follows
Sept 21st  fly from Borneo to Darwin.
Sept 29th fly to Alice Springs
Oct 3rd fly to Adelaide
Oct 12th fly from Melbourne to Auckland NZ(we have been invited to a wedding on 9th Nov.and will bird NZ)
Nov 12th fly back to Melbourne
Nov 22nd fly to Cairns
Dec 6th fly to Brisbane
Dec 13th fly to Sydney
Dec 28th fly home to UK.

Does this all seem logical, regarding the weather and birding.
I have 'Where to watch Birds in Australia' by Wheatley but there are a number of queries that I have and any assistance would be greatly received.
1. The Yellow River cruise in NT, does it need to be booked before hand, if so is there a contact e-mail address
2. Would the Darwin area be suitable for the hire of a small camper van at this time of the year, or would it be too hot.
Any contacts for the hire of such a vehicle.
3. Alice Springs area and Ayers Rock are there any more details regarding birding areas and also accommodation, or is it all expensive here.

We will be hiring a vehicle at each of the locations

Any assistance from birders on improvements and contacts would be greatly received.
As might be gathered we will have one or two rests from birding during the visit as we will already have spent 2 weeks in Borneo on a birding tour.
Where is  a good place in Aus to spent Christmas

Cheers and England for the World Cup!

Martyn Bailey