birding-aus

Painted Finch at Mount Isa

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Painted Finch at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:50:30 +1000
g'day all,

Now that the ephemeral water holes have dried up it is easy to locate this bird again.
Darlene Kneen, a fellow Isa birdwatcher advised me that they had returned to drinking at the Warrigal Waterhole (also known as Painted Rocks)

On Friday I watched from 1.30 to 2.30pm as they came down the cliffs in waves with up to 20 Painted Finches drinking at a time.
There were accompanied by 100s of Grey-headed H/e, 4 Grey-fronted H/e, 12 Diamond Doves, 3 Spotted Bower Birds and as I was leaving dozens of Spinifex Pigeons

Warrigal Waterhole is at 20° 43' 20" / 139° 35' 42" and is accessed via 3.6km of a very rough track. The turnoff is at a interpretive sign on the Barkly Hwy, 5.7km east of the Overlander hotel. Visitors will get the best view by walking to the downriver end of the waterhole via a disused track and sitting on the north bank.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.

Birds Queensland Gazetteer of good birding places  http://birdsqueensland.org.au/