birding-aus

Strange Bar-tailed Godwit

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Strange Bar-tailed Godwit
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 13:48:59 +1100
Hi Everyone,

We were doing our weekly Caloundra sandbanks (SEQld)  survey on Thursday
afternoon, when I saw the strangest godwit.

In short, it had a beak as proportionately short as somewhere between a
tattler and a greenshank. It was feeding in the company of other
non-breeding plumaged Bar-tailed Godwits, and had the same plumage markings.
But the beak was significantly shorter than all of the godwits nearby. It
didn't appear to have broken its beak, in fact it was feeding very
comfortably. I watched it for a while, wondering if it was some vagrant
godwit species, but when it moved and raised its wings, it was identical to
the others in all ways except the beak. I have never seen such an individual
before.

Cheers,

Jill
--