birding-aus

Barbary Dove/Cape Turtle Dove ??

To: <>
Subject: Barbary Dove/Cape Turtle Dove ??
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:28:19 +1000
Thanks Michael,

I see Mike Owen has confirmed the likelihood of Barbary Dove because that is
the bird most kept in captivity in Aus. I was aware of that fact, however
Bob mentioned a smaller size than Crested Pigeon and that the bird had a
white mark around the neck band. From the books I originally referred too,
they suggested Cape Turtle Dove to me. And that was the illustration I sent
to Bob. Just on Bob's description it could have been one of several species,
if you look through the African and Asian books. I have a South African
friend who is a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society with lots of
published bird photos in SA and also here, so I sent him the pictures Bob
sent me of the Mt Isa birds. I will forward his reply along with his Photos
of what he calls African Turtle Dove S. capicola that could also fit the
bill.

Having done a fair bit of bird Photography myself I realise just how
difficult it is some times to positively identify a bird from a photo. Let
alone from a written description, as Anthea Fleming and Denise Goodfellow
seem to have done.

But the bottom line is that I accept the majority decision, that it is most
likely a Barbary Dove and needs to be 'zapped' before they take off in Mt
Isa and become another pest.

Cheers John