birding-aus

Black Cockies, Plumheads and raptors

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Black Cockies, Plumheads and raptors
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:07:35 +1000
White Cedars around the valley are bearing fruit at present, and sure enough
Red-tailed Black Cockatoos have started turning up in their regular roadside
trees for their seasonal feasting.

We watched four Red-tailed Blacks in a tree just up the road yesterday, and
can confirm that once they had identified the spray of seeds they wanted to
work on, and had manouvered it within reach, usually with their beaks, all
grasping of the food source during the actual feeding was done with the left
foot. This concurs with what many correspondents have observed in other
parrots.

Wedge-tailed Eagle, Spotted Harrier, Whistling Kite and Brown Goshawk, all
at Abberton on June 1st indicating another potentially good month for
raptors, but the last two days have brought very strong winds and overcast
conditions - not good raptor conditions.

Plum-headed Finches are around in good numbers, and are feeding amid the
untended seedy parts of the garden most days. I'm aware of several noisy
small parties coming in around dusk, and I suspect they're roosting very
close by, but I haven't tracked down the site yet.
Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056