birding-aus

Altona, Newport Lakes

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Altona, Newport Lakes
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:02:37 +1000

I have just returned from a ‘reccy’ for the Werribee Wagtails outing on Tuesday June 4th.  and feel I must share my experience.  Newport Lake was a quarry and tip, now the area has been  transformed it into a great habitat for birds.  Around the lakes are phragmatis and cumbungi so water birds have plenty of places to hide.  In the Black wattles, Coastal saltbush and She-oaks are many honeyeaters and wattlebirds.  The Park covers 33 hectares and according to the information sheet supports 200 species of plants and 85 species of birds.  From there I drove towards the bay passing Cherry Lake, another great water and bush area.  The tide was out so there were plenty of birds to see, Silver gulls, Pacific Gulls, White-faced herons, Royal Spoonbills, Chestnut Teal, Ibis, Stilts all in great numbers.  On past Kooringal Golf Course to a recently established Federation project, again a very neglected area has been transformed into a very pleasant recreation area.  There are 200 steps up a hill and from there you get a great view over the Laverton Salt Flats, a highly desirable place for migratory waders.  There was no wind and the sun was shining brightly, perfect conditions.  I only hope it will be the same next Tuesday.   All these area are very close to Melbourne.

Shirley Cameron

Werribee