birding-aus

RFI Australia

To: <>
Subject: RFI Australia
From: "Pieter van der Luit" <>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:34:59 +0200
Hi all,

I am a birder from the Netherlands and I'm coming to Australia next month
for a six week vacation. I' ve never been to this part of the world and I
would like to get some information on birds and birding sites. I already
have quite a bit of general information, so the more detailed, the better.
My route is from Melbourne to Aidelade, Alice springs, Darwin, Kakudu,
Cairns, Brisbane to Sydnay, all done campervan. My route is more or less
flexible and can be changed to go to some of the better birdingsites, better
birds or, even better, to go birding for (part off) a day with fellow
birdwatchers. I am not so much looking for professional birdingguides,
because I already contacted the guides I want to use. I would appreciate it
if some of you could help me with site-info for these birds:
Southern Cassowary
Letter winged kite
Buttonquails
Plains wanderer (if possible)
Chestnut rail
Sarus crane
Thick knees
Owls
Frogmouths
Owlet nightjar
Pittas
Lyrebirds
Logrunner
Grasswrens
Bristlebirds
Gouldian finch
Bowerbirds
Riflebirds

Quite a long and demanding list, so info on just some of the birds is
welcome as well!
If all goes well I hope to see my 1500th lifer on this trip.

Greetings,

Pieter van der Luit
The Netherlands