birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:17:30 +1000

I have just returned from a month in Queensland.  Two weeks were  birding with Klaus Uhlenhut. I added another 16 birds to my list.

The highlight was the magnificent Golden Bowerbird found up Mt Lewis near Julatten. The Rufous and Lesser Sooty Owl were a close second and third!

It was great to return to the Western Treatment Plant today.  Wondering if there are any birds about at this time of the year, the answer is “Yes”.  Choose a day when there is very little wind and you will be delighted.  Lake Borrie and other lake areas abound with Pink-eared Duck.  The tide was out and the bird hide at the mouth of Little River was the ideal place to view the waders who are wintering over.  The rocks at Kirk’s Point were crowded with Pied and Black Cormorants.  In less than 4 hours we saw 55 species.

Recently on ‘birding-aus’ someone was asking about roosting places of starlings in the Eastern suburbs.  I wonder if the researcher can help me.  We have a real problem in Werribee with starlings roosting in Station St. where there are exotic trees.  Are exotic birds are attracted to exotic trees?  Would native trees solve the problem?

I was delighted to hear Derek Giuille  774 interview Sean Dooley.

Shirley Cameron

Werribee