birding-aus

White Magpies and birds of prey

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: White Magpies and birds of prey
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 06:33:18 +0930
In early 1970s I used to drive through the south eastern parklands of
Adelaide and often looked at the family of oddly marked magpies opposite the
Parkside Hotel, none were completely white but several had huge patches of
white on their chest and abdomen, I wonder if there are still some in that
area. I now live near Berri, 240km NE of Adelaide and in the hybridisation
area of Black and White-backed magpies and my resident flock produce some
interesting results each year, they also enjoy eating the occasional mouse
that I throw to them and if I throw out too much mince meat they hide it
under leaves etc. Another interesting thing is the amount of regurgitated
pellets that they and the grey butcherbirds produce.
Doug Holly