birding-aus

Bird baths

To: <>
Subject: Bird baths
From: "Andy & Shirley Krajewski" <>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 21:10:39 +0930
On the subject of bird baths:
this afternoon Andy and I were in the Hattah Kalkyne NP (Victoria) and were greatly entertained by a White-eared Honeyeater that refused to share its 2-bird sized puddle with a Hooded Robin. It was a wet weekend, so we had gone shopping in Mildura and decided to detour to the Hattah for our picnic lunch before returning home to Loxton. Between rain showers we were treated to some spectacular light effects over Lake Hattah and the waterfowl put on a real show for us. Scattered amongst the many Grey Teal, Wood Ducks and Pacific Ducks, were a sprinkling of Pink-eared ducks and some extremely busy Aussie Shovelers. An interesting trio was formed by a Royal Spoonbill, a Yellowbilled Spoonbill and a Pacific Heron. They followed each other around in a manner so argumentive it suggested the arrangement was mutually beneficial, but not enjoyed. A large flock of fussy, prancing Black-tailed Native-hens swept across the waters edge infront of us, virtually running over a highly indignant magpie lark. On the way out we were treated to some wonderful sightings of Mallee  birds responding to the first decent rains of the season - they were all very visible, vocal and not at all bothered by a couple of bird watchers. We were even treated to an investigation by an Echidna. We had driven to Mildura on Saturday afternoon, and to illustrate how hard it was raining, a Caspian Tern was cruising the Stuart Highway.   If you are in the Mallee areas and it rains - get out there and go bird watching!
Cheers
Shirley