birding-aus

Glossy Back Cockies, plumheads and birds galore

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Glossy Back Cockies, plumheads and birds galore
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 17:00:22 +1000
My old friend John Hadley came over this-morning, and we shared a pot of tea
on the verandah along with, in John's words, "Birds galore!"

Highlights were:

a party of 6 Glossy Black Cockatoos, which flew close by along the
creekbank, much smaller and quieter than the Red-tailed Blacks which are
more regular here; parties of Plum-headed Finches feeding on the ground
along with Zebra Finches, Double-bars and Red-browed Finches; a splendid
male Rose Robin; male Golden Whistler and Rufous Whistler likewise - not
uncommon birds but both breathtakingly beautiful; Yellow Thornbills and
White-throated Gerygones feeding close above our heads; a group of 10 or so
Varied Sittellas hunting their way through several trees; small noisy
parties of White-throated Honeyeaters active in the same trees close to the
house. To me the White-throated Honeyeater is a much brighter and more
striking bird than the White-naped, the bright olive of its back often
reminds me of Blue-faced Honeyeaters.

Much more, between forty and fifty species in the couple of hours John was
here.

Speckled Warblers and Eastern Whipbirds are regulars in the bird baths at
the moment. An iridescently brilliant Shining-bronze Cuckoo was here
yesterday, also Fan-tailed Cuckoo.

I'm still hoping we'll get a winter visit from a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
again this year.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056