birding-aus

Swifties on the Central Coast

To: "Gladwin, Chris [JJPAU]" <>, "David Geering" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Swifties on the Central Coast
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 19:04:10 +1000
Hi Everyone,
For those in the know, today was the first day of my moving from Chittaway Bay, to 12 km to the east, to Bateau Bay. While Chittaway Bay is part of Tuggerah Lakes, Bateau Bay is a bay on the coast with its own beach. Both suburbs have plenty of trees, including Swamp Mahoganies and Blackbutts.

As I arrived at Murray St Bateau Bay with my first load of boxes at 9 am, the first bird that I heard was some Swift Parrots, along with Rainbow, Musk and Little Lorikeets. The Swifties were around all day, at one stage we had 21 Swift Parrots perched in one of the trees on our block while at least 6-10 were calling and flying nearby. 31 Swifties on the coast, not bad!! The birds around our house would appear to feeding on lerps as the flowering Swamp Mahoganies are at least 200 m from the house, although as all the lorikeets are presenrt maybe there is a tree in some one's backyard that is in flower but as yet I have not located it.

Alan Morris
Central Coast Group, Birding NSW