birding-aus

Bright ideas - wetland in a roadabout!

To: <>
Subject: Bright ideas - wetland in a roadabout!
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:11:40 +1000
Hi all,

Have you ever looked at a roundabout and thought what a waste of a good space -
it could for example be turned into a small nature reserve. Well today I came
across a roundabout that has been turned into a wetland reserve! It can be
found at the Clifton Hill end of Hoddle St in Melbourne - specifically it's the
land in the turnoff to Heidelberg Rd when turning left from Hoddle St, just
before you reach Queens Parade, Clifton Hill.

It still seems to be in development stage but already it includes a range of
plant species such as the native club-rushes. It will be intriguing to see
which birds use this area! It may be perfect for a pair of wood duck for
example.

I'd interested to know the history of this development: so remind me to contact
the relevant council to find out more about it.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Dolby
Dept of Bus and E-com