birding-aus

PROTECTION OF CARNIVORES IN BELGIUM

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: PROTECTION OF CARNIVORES IN BELGIUM
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 09:43:01 -0400
CAMPAIGN FOR THE PROTECTION OF SMALL WILD CARNIVORES IN WALLONIA
(BELGIUM)

The minister responsible for hunting, agriculture and the countryside in Walloonia, José Happart, is planning legislative measures which would wipe out whole populations of wild carnivores and pose a threat to birds and other wild life through uncontrolled and random poaching !

Use your influence against this wanton and unnecessary slaughter and support those concerned with the conservation of a balanced wildlife population in Belgium!

The council of ministers has adopted the first draft of a decree to permit the killing of some species of 'game'. This new project would permit the killing of foxes, stone marten and polecat anywhere in the Walloon region; previously this was authorised only in open countryside. The decree would also allow the destruction of carnivores "in the interest of public health and public safety" the whole year round, by day or by night, and the use of light sources to facilitate shooting.

This would let poaching of birds and mammals go unchecked and is totally unacceptable!!!

Several nature protection associations are mobilising to fight for the repeal of this decree; and to increase public awareness by launching a campaign for the protection of small wild carnivores in Wallonia.

Our Proact Partner in Belgium <http://www.aves.be/carnivores > has asked for our support in this matter - and for us to give publicity to their campaign.

We are responding by launching the first in a series of mini-Proact initiatives in support of local wildlife causes.

The details of the campaign ? and how you can participate ? are at: http://www.proactnow.org/localcampaigns/id10.html (Wallonia)

LETTER TO THE MINISTER FOR HUNTING; AGRICULTURE AND THE COUNTRYSIDE FOR WALLONIA

Copy the text below - or use your own text - and send to:

mail to the Minister and others

[Copy and paste and send email to] ;
;;;;
;
We say NO to the wanton slaughter of small wild carnivores in Wallonia

To M Minister José Happart

Dear Minister,

We have been informed of your plan to have a decree allowing the destruction of several wild carnivore species (polecat, stone marten, fox) adopted by the Walloon government. This proposed legislation is justified by the false and misleading pretext that these 'harmful' animals pose an predation threat to other fauna and to ecosystems - with negative effects on their sustainability.

We cannot accept the fact that the destruction of these mammals, unsupported by any form of valid scientific evidence, should be permitted. The actual causes of small game decrease, and appropriate measures to combat them, would thus be ignored and the small predators and their necessary natural function used as a scapegoat. On the contrary, the introduction of such measures would be harmful for the regional fauna and biodiversity in general; and would present the external public image of Wallonia in a negative environmental light.

We support the campaign for the protection of small wild carnivores in Wallonia (Belgium). In particular we condemn your proposed plans to permit the shooting of foxes at night using light sources; and the wanton and unnecessary destruction of other small wild carnivores (polecat, stone marten). Predators and carnivores play an essential role in natural ecosystems.

We hope that you will have the courage and foresight to retract such proposed legislation and use your office to promote a genuine and rational environmental policy for and in your region.

Yours faithfully,

(Name and address)

© Proact 2002

David