birding-aus

White-breasted Sea-Eagles (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: White-breasted Sea-Eagles (Vic)
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 20:43:05 +1000
Hi All,

      Had another great weekend around Lake Eppalock (Central Vic) in the vicinity of Derrinal Pool.  Up until this morning there was very little to add to my original report dated 26th Jan '02, but on our final search a pair of White-breasted Sea-Eagles sat in a dead tree while we had excellent views. Always thrilling to see.
      Touring home, we travelled from Tooborac to Lancefield, stopping at a few 'likely' looking dams to check them out.  3 1/2k's north of Lancefield on the western side of the road a
largish dam provided more highlights.  Twelve species included Red-kneed & Black-fronted Dotterel, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, A.Shoveller, A.Shelduck, Great Egret plus the usual waterbirds.
       Lake Eppalock is an interesting place to drive around at present.  The water level is very low and many of the old fences, tracks and creek beds are starting to reappear.  But be careful, the black mud is waiting to grab the unwary.

     Happy birding
      Marlene