birding-aus

Turquoise Parrots again at Laughtondale Gully (Anzac Day April 2002)

To: <>
Subject: Turquoise Parrots again at Laughtondale Gully (Anzac Day April 2002)
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:51:00 +1000
As I was passing through the area yesterday mid-afternoon, I decided to have another look for the Turquoise Parrots at Laughtondale Gully (NW of Sydney) and saw no less than 4 parrots including one juv. bird. This may mean that they have bred in the area for 2 successive seasons as I saw atleast 2 juv. birds there about a year ago. They have been hanging about the exact spot for over a year now (the parrots were first discovered here by Keith Brandwood), feeding mainly on small patches of seeding grasses on the roadside and beside heathland on Sydney sandstone. Hopefully in the near future we will be able to see more of these beautiful parrots (one of my favourites) in the Sydney area. Turq's in recent years have occurred irregularly in other parts of the western Sydney region (Scheyville NP, Castlereagh NR etc) as well as the nearby lower Blue Mountains (Winmalee and Yurramundi). Besides the Parrots, also had a good views of a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (its harsh alarm notes were being imitated by 2 Brown Thornbills closeby. Other heathwrens were also possibly heard), a Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo, a few Peaceful Doves, a female Crested Shrike-tit, several Dusky Woodswallows, several Double-barred and Red-browed Finches, Brown-headed Honeyeaters (amongst others), a Bassian Thrush (on the edge of the heath) and Owlet Nightjar heard briefly in the afternoon.

Edwin Vella